Gallery: Churches - Page 2

 

10 Images - Page:     1     2  

 

 

Photographs of parish churches, bell towers, spires, religious structures and churchyards, located mainly in the UK.

The parish church in Christianity has been fundamental to the life of the community. The styles of architecture and the size of churches are considerably varied, with many churches dating back to the Middle Ages.

A common feature on most churches is the spire, steeple or bell tower. Apart from the more obvious need to house the bells; the spire served another less well known purpose, which was to provide a sufficiently tall landmark to guide visitors to the church. These spires also assisted travellers to navigate across the country. In the early days, before our present road systems were built, people travelled the countryside on foot or on horseback and the church steeple being the most prominent feature of any village was an identifiable landmark which could be seen for several miles. This is the reason why a church built on a hill usually has a low steeple, but a church in a valley will have a tall one.

Purchasing Details are shown at the Bottom of the Page. As an alternative, you may purchase directly from the Shopping Facility.

Click the photo link, for an enlarged view!

>St Leonard's Church, Thorpe, Derbyshire by Rod Johnson

 

Buy ⁄ View

St Leonard's Church, Thorpe, Derbyshire

The Parish Church of St Leonard at Thorpe in Derbyshire, England. This view looks along the main entrance path to the ancient church, it shows the wrought iron gates, decorative overthrow and lamp, then behind is the magnificent bell tower dating from around 1150, which is the oldest part of this Grade I listed church.

Image Ref. 30967-RDA

>St Margaret's Church, Wetton by Rod Johnson

 

Buy ⁄ View

St Margaret's Church, Wetton

The parish Church of St Margaret in the small village of Wetton in the Staffordshire Moorlands of England. This Grade II Listed building, is located next to Buxton Road, Wetton. The main body of the present church was built in 1820, but the bell tower is much earlier and dates from the 14th century.

Image Ref. 34454-RDA

>St James' Church, Yarmouth by Rod Johnson

 

Buy ⁄ View

St James' Church, Yarmouth

St James Church at Yarmouth, Isle of Wight, England, viewed here from St James Street. The present church, which is Grade II listed, was rebuilt between 1614 and 1626, after being reduced to a ruin in 1543. The distinctive upper stage of the tower was added by Daniel Alexander of Maidstone, in 1831. The church was also rebuilt previously, after being destroyed by the French during their raid of 1377.

Image Ref. 32640-RDA

>St Michael's Church, Shalfleet by Rod Johnson

 

Buy ⁄ View

St Michael's Church, Shalfleet

The Church of St Michael the Archangel, Shalfleet, Isle of Wight, England. This medieval, Grade I listed church, in the tiny village of Shalfleet was built almost like a fortress. The walls are 5 feet thick and the sturdy looking tower with battlements, had a secret room only accessible from a door on the roof. The tower, dating from 1070, was a place of refuge for the residents, during attacks by the French. Unusually, a 3 pound gun was kept in the tower. Much later, the gun and the church bells were sold to fund the addition of a steeple in circa 1800, but the steeple had to be removed in 1912 after becoming unsafe. The church currently has two bells.

Image Ref. 32651-RDA

>Lichfield Cathedral from the Garden by Rod Johnson

 

Buy ⁄ View

Lichfield Cathedral from the Garden

Lichfield Cathedral from the Garden of Remembrance at Lichfield, Staffordshire, England. This view shows the three spires, towering above the nearby buildings.

Image Ref. 28622-RDA

>All Saints Church, Findern, Derbyshire by Rod Johnson

 

Buy ⁄ View

All Saints Church, Findern, Derbyshire

The parish church of All Saints at Findern in Derbyshire, England. The church was totally rebuilt between 1863-64 after the original building was destroyed by fire. It contains a an octagonal font from 1666 and there is also a monument to Isabella de Fynderne dated 1444.

Image Ref. 18929-RDA

>St Mary's Church, Carisbrooke by Rod Johnson

 

Buy ⁄ View

St Mary's Church, Carisbrooke

The Parish and Priory Church of St Mary The Virgin, at Carisbrooke, Isle of Wight. This large medieval church, which stands high above Carisbrooke High Street, was established in c1150, first as a Benedictine priory. The priory was dissolved in 1415 and later during the 15th century a tower was added. The church was restored in 1907, it has 2 halls and a bell tower, which is very unusual because it rises in 5 stages and has a turret at on corner and pinnacles at the other corners, with battlements in between. The tower had 8 bells installed in 1921 and a further 2 bells were added in 2002.

Image Ref. 32974-RDA

>The Church of the Holy Cross, Ilam by Rod Johnson

 

Buy ⁄ View

The Church of the Holy Cross, Ilam

The Church of the Holy Cross at Ilam in Staffordshire, England. There has been a church on this site since Saxon times. The present church has a Norman font, dated 1120 to 1130, both the tower and a lancet window are from the 13th century and there are later additions from the 17th century. Located on the edge of what is now the Ilam Country Park, the church has been left somewhat isolated from the village, after progressive rebuilding over the centuries; the village has gradually moved about 400 metres away from the church.

Image Ref. 30774-RDA

>The Bell Tower, Evesham Abbey by Rod Johnson

 

Buy ⁄ View

The Bell Tower, Evesham Abbey

The Bell Tower of Evesham Abbey at Evesham, Worcestershire, England. Built between 1529 and 1539, this magnificent tower, is all that remains of Evesham Abbey. The abbey was founded between 700 and 710 A.D., but was plundered and demolished in 1540 during the Dissolution of the Monasteries.

Image Ref. 30149-RDA

>St Peter's Church, Hartshorne by Rod Johnson

 

Buy ⁄ View

St Peter's Church, Hartshorne

St Peters Church at Hartshorne in Derbyshire, England. Records show that a church has stood on this site since at least 1303. The present tower was added much later, in the 15th centuary and is now all that remains of that original church. The main body of the present church, was rebuilt in 1835.

Image Ref. 17034-RDA

Purchasing Details

The photos in this gallery have individual direct links to the same photos on my personal website with Pixels.com.

Pixels.com/Fine Art America is one of the largest and most respected custom framers in the world. The prints are of museum-quality and the expertly assembled frames, which are ready to hang, are produced at wholesale prices. The quality and prices of their frames just cannot be beaten.

Pixels.com/FAA now has Multiple Fulfilment Centres in several countries and ships to world wide destinations. When you place an order, the artwork will automatically be printed and manufactured at the nearest of its Fulfilment Centres to your delivery address.

If for any reason, you are not satisfied with your purchase when it arrives, you may mail it back to Pixels.com/Fine Art America within 30 days, for a full refund of the purchase price. In the unlikely event that your purchase has a defect in quality, the outgoing and return shipping charges, will also be refunded.

 

Photo products are available in many options and sizes.                   Prices are in US Dollars.

Canvas Prints

starting at $75

Framed Prints

starting at $73

Art Prints

starting at $27

Acrylic Prints

starting at $65

Metal Prints

starting at $56

Greeting Cards

starting at $5.45

Phone Cases

$35

 

Page:     1     2

 

 

Top of This Page     Main Galleries Page

 

 

FAA Sponsorship Links

church photos     church canvas prints     church prints     church framed prints     church greeting cards     church posters